Yes, you should fly to another city because the savings are worth it
You don’t actually need to live in the state of Florida to get a great deal on a car there. In fact, out-of-towners are encouraged to stop by.
If you’re looking for a new car, head to the Sunshine State as Tampa, Orlando, and Miami have some of the best deals on new cars. Such good deals, in fact, that you can fly from another state, buy a car, drive home, and it would cost you less than if you bought the car locally. And the deals aren’t just in Florida: CarGurus says there are a few cities across the country where you can “fly to buy.”
Fly to buy is where you get on a plane to another city (and usually another state) to buy a car and then drive it back. For many, the cost of the car, the plane ticket, gas and accommodations are still cheaper than buying the car locally.
“Even for less ambitious shoppers, this research highlights just how much variability can exist on used car prices in different markets,” says Lisa Rosenberg, a data analyst at CarGurus. “Expanding your search area even moderately can sometimes unearth opportunities to save.”
The study looked at millions of nationwide car listings, compared local prices to set the best-valued region, and determined the cost of plane tickets and gas to get to a different city and back in a new car.
The best cities and cars
Three cities in Florida and two in Texas have some of the best deals, but not all are created equal. Deals differ depending on where you are flying from. For example, CarGurus says Albany, New York residents who fly to Miami to buy a 2015 Ford Mustang can save around $2,065. Flyers from Birmingham, AL to Houston will save $1,375 on the same car. Other top flying deals include:
- Grand Rapids, MI to Tampa, FL – estimated savings of $1,363
- Fresno, CA to San Diego, CA – estimated savings of $1,297
- Des Moines, ID to Dallas, TX – estimated savings of $1,038
- Portland, OR to Boise, ID – estimated savings of $1,135
- Memphis, TN to Orlando, FL – estimated savings of $1,135
- Nashville, TN to Las Vegas, NV – estimated savings of $1,113
The best deals may not necessarily be on the car you want or the city you’re in, but CarGurus found the best “fly to buy” deals based on certain cars in specific cities. These cars were some of the most searched vehicles on CarGurus…
- 2007 Chevy Tahoe: Reno, NV to New York, NY – estimated savings of $2,224
- 2013 Ford F-150: Nashville, TN to Cleveland, OH – estimated savings of $3,307
- 2014 Chevy Silverado: San Jose, CA to Buffalo, NY – estimated savings of $4,347
- 2014 Chevy Silverado: Sacramento, CA to Boston, MA – estimated savings of $3,036
- 2007 BMW 3 Series: Albuquerque, NM to Dallas, TX – estimated savings of $1,871
- 2010 Chevy Camaro: Louisville, KY to Miami, FL – estimated savings of $1,781
- 2006 Dodge Charger: Jackson, MS to Washington, DC – estimated savings of $1,392
- 2006 Dodge Charger: Memphis, TN to Miami, FL – estimated savings of $2,239
- 2007 Toyota Camry: El Paso, TX to Chicago, IL – estimated savings of $1,877
Make sure you aren’t getting a car you haven’t checked out yet. Just because it’s a good deal doesn’t mean it’s the most reliable and cost-effective in the long run. Safety is a big factor, and your credit history matters, too.
Meet the Author
Article last modified on November 1, 2017 Published by Debt.com, LLC . Mobile users may also access the AMP Version: Need a New Car? Head to Florida - AMP.