Free Debt Analysis

Contact us at (800)-810-0989

Get free tax advice to avoid mistakes that can cost you big.

3 minute read

Debt.com strives to provide our users with helpful information while remaining unbiased and truthful. We hold our sponsors and partners to the highest industry standards. Once vetted, those sponsors may compensate us for clicks and transactions that occur from a link within this page.

Expert free tax advice on the simplest tax form costs on average just under $200 and can head north quickly should you need to do something like itemize or file a state return, according to the National Society of Accountants.

At a time when your life is about to be reduced to every nickel and dime made and spent in a year, it might relieve you to know that free tax advice is out there…

Start with the IRS

Who better to answer tax questions and get free tax advice than from the people who wrote the rules, namely the Internal Revenue Service? Taxpayers can call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. The IRS also can direct you to the right free tax software as well. If you made $66,000 or less, use the agency’s  lookup tool to help you sort through options.

Get free tax advice in person here

Check out these helpful programs…

1. Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program  (VITA)

This program offers free help to people who make $54,000 or less, the disabled and those who speak limited English. IRS-certified volunteers help prepare basic tax returns and electronic filing for those who qualify.

VITA sites are set up during tax season in places such as community centers, libraries, schools, and malls. To find one call 800-906-9887 or use the VITA Locator Tool.

2. Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE)  

Like the name implies, this federally funded program is aimed at older taxpayers. Although it was set up to help people ages 60 and older and makes the elderly a priority, there’s no enforced age limit to this free service. The advice is tailored to answer questions about pensions and retirement-related issues unique to seniors.

Most TCE sites are run by the AARP Foundation Tax-Aide program. To find one near you use the AARP Site Locator Tool or call 888-227-7669.

3. AARP Foundation Tax-Aide  

The non-profit arm of AARP offers tax help through VITA and TCE at more than 5,000 locations. Filers can meet with tax counselors who have advanced training from the IRS. The AARP service is for people ages 50 and older with low to moderate incomes, but Tax-Aide helps people of all ages. You don’t need to be an AARP member to get help here.

Clinic hours can change weekly, so check before you go. Tax-Aide Site Locator.

4. Military MilTax

The Department of Defense offers free tax help for service members, including those in the National Guard and reserves, immediate family members, and eligible survivors. It offers its own e-filing software and connects service members with experts in military tax matters, via phone or in person at VITA locations.

Trained consultants take calls during tax season seven days a week from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. EST or EDT at 800-342-9647. Outside of tax season, they are available during business hours on weekdays.

Free web tool with live help

Certain VITA and TCE locations allow taxpayers to fill out their own returns using free web-based tax prep software with guidance from an IRS-certified volunteer.  Search for a VITA or TCE site near you that lists this  “Self-Prep” service.

Get help online

For starters, if you have a question, Google it. The IRS, the experts at a variety of tax prep services or a well-trained blogger, such as TaxMama, might have the answer.

TaxMama invites you to “Ask Your Tax Question For Free.” As homespun as the website name sounds, the advice comes from pros and has been quoted by the likes of Consumer Reports.

Free tax software

Thought you had to pay to file your taxes through  TurboTax, H&R Block, TaxAct or others? Not necessarily. Several companies offer base versions of their tax software for free. Free versions of tax software work for people filing 1040EZ or 1040A forms but shop around for the best deal.

For example, this year Credit Karma released a new tax preparation software called Credit Karma Tax. It’s completely free to file your federal and state returns through this program, and they have a help center online.

Most of these providers offer a way to get free tax advice. Many services offer a hotline or online chat room. Some offer more individualized help from a professional — for a fee.

Not sure which tax software or service you should be using? Check out our article How to Choose the Best Tax Software for YOU or for more Money Tips click here. 

About the Author



Debt.com’s writers are journalists, personal finance experts, and certified credit counselors. Their advice about money – how to make it, how to save it, and how to spend it – is based on, collectively, a century of personal finance experience. They’ve been featured in media outlets ranging from The New York Times to USA Today, from Forbes to FOX News, and from MSN to CBS.

Published by Debt.com, LLC