Just because your spouse decides to scam the IRS, it doesn’t excuse you from filing.

Question: My wife has filed her taxes for 3 years and claimed all four kids. She’s claimed she earned $20,000 each year and that she is single. But we are married and live together with the four kids. I have not filed my taxes for 3 years because of her. I don’t get any of the money, and it’s illegal in my eyes. In reality, I make all the money on the W2 and I’m the head of household. But she won’t let me claim any kids or file married, even though legally I have the right to. I’m not sure what to do. – Titus in Michigan

Jacob Dayan, Co-Founder of Community Tax, responds…

Hi Titus,

This is a tough situation and unfortunately your wife’s choices don’t make you exempt from filing. From the IRS’ standpoint, you’re the one with the issue because you haven’t filed your taxes in three years. Regardless of what your spouse does, you have a legal obligation to accurately file your taxes each year. So, your situation is the one that I’m most concerned about, but let’s look at the situation that you’re describing with your wife first.

Someone filing as Single or Head of Household with an income of $20,000 and four dependents will likely receive a tax refund of several thousand dollars – mostly from the Earned Income Tax Credit or EITC.

If what you allege is true, it seems like your wife is trying to get around some issues that would prohibit her from qualifying for the EITC.

Filing Status Issues

If you are married and live together, she would not qualify to file as Single or Head of Household. The EITC is also not allowed if you choose to file Married Filing Separate. Depending on your income level, both of you may not qualify for the EITC if you filed Married Filing Joint.

Dependent Issues

To claim a dependent on your return, you must (among other requirements) pay over 50% of the living expenses for that dependent. If you earn significantly more than she does, she is likely not meeting that requirement and cannot legally claim the kids.

Do you owe the IRS and fear you won’t get caught up? Weigh your options with an expert.

Get Help NowCall To Action Link

What this means for your wife

Based on these facts there is a chance your spouse is illegally claiming a larger refund than she is entitled. If the IRS ever finds out they can reverse the EITC and the dependents and make her pay back any refunds she has received plus significant penalties for illegally claiming the EITC.

What this means for you

Regardless of what she is doing, you still must file. It is against the law not to file a return, so while your wife may be doing something against the law, technically so are you. You will need to file your back returns without delay.

If you owe tax on back returns, the IRS can add a failure to file penalty of up to 25% plus failure to pay penalties and interest.

And in case there is any doubt – you are not required to and should not lie on your return if your wife filed fraudulently. You should file accurately based on your situation.

I would highly suggest that you speak with a professional about the best way to navigate this situation. They will help you file the three years that you missed accurately and help you decide on some next steps moving forward.

Did we provide the information you needed? If not let us know and we’ll improve this page.
Let us know if you liked the post. That’s the only way we can improve.

About the Author

Jacob Dayan

Jacob Dayan

Jacob Dayan was born and raised in Chicago and worked in New York City as a financial analyst at Bear Stearns. In 2009, he returned to Chicago to be with his family and pursue a career assisting consumers and small businesses with various financial needs. In 2010, he co-founded Community Tax LLC, a full-service tax company helping customers nationwide with all of their tax resolution, tax preparation, bookkeeping, and accounting needs. He’s a licensed attorney in Illinois who graduated Magna Cum Laude from Mitchell Hamline School of Law and has worked with more than 60,000 clients – resolving more than $400 million in tax liabilities.

Published by Debt.com, LLC